- Y Main Home
- Youth Development
- Healthy Living
- Social Responsibility
- Child Welfare
- Workforce & Education
- Family Services
- Global Services
- Volunteerism & Giving
- About Us
Darkness To Light
The statistics are startling. 1 in 10 children are sexually abused before their 18th birthdays. Children are victims in nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults. In more than 90% of these cases, the abuser is someone the child knows and trusts.*
But there is good news, too. The Old Colony YMCA has partnered with Darkness to Light, a nationally acclaimed non-profit, to bring its award-winning prevention program, Stewards of Children, to our community. Stewards of Children is a 2.5 hour training designed to educate adults on how to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse, emphasizing child safety as every adult’s responsibility. Our goal is simple: to educate and prepare our community to deal with and prevent child sexual abuse.
Stewards of Children
The YMCA is able to provide Stewards of Children trainings free of charge thanks to grants awarded from the Redwoods Foundation, the United Way of Greater Plymouth County, Community Connections of Brockton, as well as individual donations. Trainings are open to the public and may be of specific interest to youth sports organizations, coaches, camp counselors, teachers, schools, faith centers and other service organizations. Trainings facilitate discussion about the incidence and consequence of abuse and present information about child protection policies, mandates and prevention techniques. Stewards of Children workshops can be requested by any local group and the YMCA will host open community trainings on a regular basis. Continuing education credits for professionals in various fields can be obtained through this training.
*All statistics provided by Darkness To Light
Check out a recent article in the Boston Globe about area YMCA trainings here:
Upcoming Free Stewards of Children Trainings:
- Thursday, March 13, 2014: 6:30-8:30 PM - Easton Branch, 25 Elm Street, Easton
- Thursday, March 13, 2014: 6:30-8:30 PM - Middleboro Branch, 61 East Grove Street, Middleboro
- Tuesday, March 25, 2014: 10:00 AM - 12 NOON - East Bridgewater Branch, 635 Plymouth Street, East Bridgewater
- Wednesday, March 26, 6:30-8:30 PM - Youth Branch, 465 Main Street, Brockton
- Thursday, March 27, 2014: 1-3 PM - Middleboro Branch, 61 E. Grove Street, Middleboro
- Thursday, March 27, 2014: 6-9 PM - Taunton Branch, 71 Cohannet Street, Taunton
- Friday, April 25, 2014: 6-9 PM - Taunton Branch, 71 Cohannet Street, Taunton
- Thursday, May 15, 2014: 6:30-8:30 PM - Easton Branch, 25 Elm Street, Easton
- Thursday, May 15, 2014: 6:30-8:30 PM - Middleboro Branch, 61 East Grove Street, Middleboro
- Monday, May 26, 2014: 6-9 PM - Taunton Branch, 71 Cohannet Street, Taunton
- Tuesday, June 24, 2014: 6-9 PM - Taunton Branch, 71 Cohannet Street, Taunton
- Wednesday, July 9, 2014: 6:30-8:30 PM - Middleboro Branch, 61 East Grove Street, Middleboro
For more information, to register, or to set up a private training for your organization or business, contact Old Colony’s Darkness To Light Program Consultant Susan Komisar Hausman or by telephoning 781 264 0181.
To learn more about the Darkness To Light organization, click here.
Darkness To Light is a non-profit organization whose mission is to diminish the incidence and impact of child sexual abuse, so that more children will grow up healthy and whole. Darkness to Light developed Stewards of Children, a training program that educates adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse.
The Old Colony Y is dedicated to training our community and spreading knowledge about sexual abuse. Through community trainings, we hope to decrease the number of children being abused and educate adults about the signs to look for in children that are being abused. If you are interested in attending one of our Darkness To Light community trainings, please speak with a member of our Welcome Center staff at any of our branches today!